As in Incident command...

IC established!
We'll have several different sections reporting in - recent research, local topics, or highlighting areas of the Sponsor Hospital Council of Greater Bridgeport protocols.

*** Keep in mind - this website does not replace your protocols, and these posts do not reflect SHCGB or Bridgeport Hospital policies. This is a place to discuss research, controversies, or discuss possible future protocols. When in doubt, check your current protocols through the official source.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Two interesting recent EMS calls.

I don't have a deep analysis of a recent study, or a recent change to the protocols, or even my thoughts on some EMS controversy

I do, however, have a gross picture and an interesting EKG! Both of these come from patients brought in by the same long-time medic at American Medical Response in Bridgeport.

First, the EKG.

The patient was an elderly lady, brought in from an nursing home, with a low blood pressure, but not looking "shocky," or at least not yet. Although there was no chest pain or other obvious cardiac complaints, and no arrhythmias, the medic nonetheless (wisely) obtained a 12-lead.

Of course, shooting an EKG, like any other  data point you obtain in the field, has been compared to picking your nose in public - namely, what do you do with the results?


So what would you do with this booger? Extra points if you find the occult STEMI.

The medic, correctly, did not call for cath lab activation.

Now the picture!

Same medic, bringing in a 80-ish year-old women who, because of dementia and multiple strokes, has had her diet restricted to pureed & thickened foods. Unfortunately, her husband, while preparing dinner, turned his back for just a moment while preparing himself a meal. When he turned back she wasn't breathing so well, and was starting to look a little blue-ish.

Not quite this bad.
By the time the patient showed up at the ED, however, she had a mild dry cough, but had her reassuringly pink skin color back!

The paramedic, not sure if we fully appreciated what had happened, held aloft with his MacGill forceps the spoils of the hunt:


Gross.

Nonetheless, a nice save! I have no idea how this lady managed to stuff a piece of meat that size into her mouth, let alone get it down into her epiglottal zone. Definitely a case that required on-scene, definitive, airway management.

Okay, that's it - no deep topics today.

But the next post will be more "meaty," I promise.



7 comments:

  1. The computer thinks the QRS width is a whopping .024. Nice. Looking at V2, the actual width is around .100-.110.

    So the computer is likely measuring the tail end of the QRS as the ST segment. Looking at that, it thinks there is STE in III, aVF, V1-V3. Although I'm not sure why it says there is STE in the lateral leads also, unless it is just confused by the low voltage in V4-V6.

    You can also tell it is looking at just the beginning of the QRS by measuring the QT interval. Computer says .332. I'm just eyeballing and spitballing, but I get about .240 most easily measured in V1-V2. .330-.240=.90. There's the missing .90 from the QRS duration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

      Delete
  2. Hey, nice catch!

    I didn't think to look at the QRS measurement. Generally it's pretty accurate. I wonder why the short QRS didn't get flagged.

    Then again, there's no "short QRS syndrome," so there wouldn't have been a reason to program that message into the algorithm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, ignore that last paragraph. I wasn't thinking, and was measuring the QT starting at the end of the QRS instead of the beginning.

    With the ridiculously low voltage in V4-V6, I was also thinking about dextrocardia but don't see any other signs of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that voltage is odd. Cards thought so too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not sure if love spell could help but here is my story:
    I have been in a relationship with my then ex (we broke up for 3 months) since 2017. It was a happy and very active relationship with lots of fun and travelling. We love each other endlessly and we shared a lot. His family was my family and my family his.

    Few months back he started being controlling and possessive:
    I told him that I don’t feel comfortable with his new behavior, he apologized and promised to work on himself. But he failed on his promises, this time it escalated to him being manipulative. He accuses me of cheating on him at work. Eventually, I’ll be the one apologizing for something I didn’t do. I broke up when I couldn’t take it any longer.

    I got a stranger email address from a website that changed my story:
    I asked the stranger for help to fix my relationship, I told him that my problem was that I am still in love with this guy and I know he loves me too but he has a huge ego, his ego is enormous. I know I am the one who did the breaking up but my heart was hoping for him to say to me ‘I’m sorry baby, I apologize for how I have made you feel these past years, I will seek help and fix myself so that we can fix us’

    The stranger is Dr. Mako, his email; Makospelltemple@yahoo.com
    Dr. Mako showered his healing powers to us through his powerful love spell. Our relationship was fixed as he provided the much-needed help to us. Our destiny was changed for good.You can also contact him on his WhatsApp Number:+2347054263874

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete