As in Incident command...

IC established!
We'll have several different sections reporting in - recent research, local topics, or highlighting areas of the Sponsor Hospital Council of Greater Bridgeport protocols.

*** Keep in mind - this website does not replace your protocols, and these posts do not reflect SHCGB or Bridgeport Hospital policies. This is a place to discuss research, controversies, or discuss possible future protocols. When in doubt, check your current protocols through the official source.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Why paramedics need to read EKGs... Part III (Return of the EKG)

In this occasional series (see Part I and Part II) I have presented pairs of EKGs, typically with one that reads

*** *** ACUTE MI *** *** 

from one patient, and one that doesn't, from a second patient. The fun part is figuring out who went to the cath lab, who didn't, and why.

This time, however, while we still have 2 EKGs, there is only one patient.

"What a twist!"

The patient
A young fit man in his early twenties, was brought in by members of the local constabulary, complaining of chest pain. I was told that the symptoms were not typical of ACS, being pleuritic and mostly reproduced with palpation. He did not look particularly intoxicated, and denied any inciting trauma.

An EKG was obtained:


Hmm. I went to see the patient myself, and after a brief re-interview and exam, I requested "an intervention."

Thirty minutes later, a repeat EKG was obtained:


Some labs were obtained, they were fine, and he was released back into custody.

So what did I do?

Lytics, nitro, a bolus of magnesium? A door-to-ballon of 30 minutes? A precordial thump, indicated because... well, just because?



The intervention
I moved around the anterior chest leads, putting them in their proper location. His initial lead placement was disturbingly similar to that pictured here:

Courtesy CBS
My patient had had the V1 and V2 leads placed, not only a few interspaces too high, but also in different interspaces - the 2nd ICS for V1, and a subclavicular placement for V2.

Meanwhile, placement of V3 was optimized, as Brandon Otto has described, to monitor pancreatic function (the MPL3, perhaps?)

The Bottom Line
I don't want to drone on about lead placement, as I've already written at length about it. And sometimes it doesn't matter too much.

Other times, however, it certainly changes the picture!

4 comments:

  1. How I Got My Ex Husband Back...........

    I am Shannon by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address Makospelltemple@yahoo.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 2 days that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks for Dr.Mako. His email: Makospelltemple@yahoo.com OR.His WhatsApp Number:+2347054263874.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete